History & Background
Les Combes D’Arnevel is a place name or “lieu-dit” given to a 20 acres parcel of vines situated in the West of Chateauneuf du Pape. It takes its name from the “combe” or depression in the terrain and “Arnevel” from the Provencal name for a shelter of thorn bushes. Until the purchase by the Quiot family in 1864, Les Combes D’Arnevel had been communal woodland with only a small area of vineyard. For many years the Quiot family used this area only for hunting and, even today, there still stands a small hunting lodge, shaded by a hundred year old tree in the middle of the now enlarged vineyards, and encircled by 80 hectares of woodland.